how to turn rsh on?

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Fri Feb 15 16:22:26 UTC 2008

Quoting "Paula J. Lindsay" <paula at scripps.edu>:

> Hi everyone, I have a user running rhw4.  He needs for me to open up rsh
> for him.  I looked in services and I
> see to use kerberos rsh, you can open up kshell, but I don't use
> kerberos.  I was sure you could open it up
> in services and/or chkconfig, but no go.  Any suggestions will be very
> much appreciated.

rsh runs from xinetd.  If xinetd is not installed, install it.  Once xinetd is
running start it with service xinetd start.  Once xinetd is running use
"chkconfig rsh on" to start it.  You will also want to run "chkconfig xinetd
on" to ensure that xinetd (and subsequently rsh) will start on future boots.
Please be aware that rsh is completely insecure and is not advisable to use.

Barry