ext3 journaling questionhi aLL,

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 11:03:31 UTC 2008

On 19/02/2008, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783 at rogers.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Herta Van den Eynde wrote:
> > On 19/02/2008, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783 at rogers.com> wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Just wondering if anyone knows of some kind of command that displays how
> > > my ext3 filesystem is doing it's journal?  What I am looking for
> > > specifically is the data= information.  I understand that the three modes
> > > are writeback, ordered and journal.  I just want to be able to find out
> > > what my filesystems are using.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Phil
> >
> > It's a mount option (cf. man mount).  data=ordered is the default
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Herta
>
> Hi Herta,
>
> I understand that and did look at the mount man page, but was just wondering
> if there was a command that would give information about how the journaling
> is employed on the filesystem

The mount command will tell you.  Look at this example:

# mount |grep boot
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
# umount /boot
# mount -o data=writeback /boot
# mount |grep boot
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,data=writeback)

The first command didn't show the mode, so the default data=ordered applies.

Kind regards,

Herta
--
"Life on Earth may be expensive,
 but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."