dhcp config question

Phil Savoie psavoie1783 at rogers.com
Wed Feb 20 10:59:11 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Running RHEL4 and wish to setup dhcpd.  I have it runing ok but what I want to
do is set it up so that it doesn't just give away IP addresses freely.  What
I want to do is only allow the hosts as specified in the host declaration to
get IP addresses.  Because I only have a couple hosts to look after, I am
assigning IP's based on mac's; like so:

host shaka {
        hardware ethernet 00:48:54:8B:C5:38;
        option host-name "shaka";
        fixed-address 192.168.1.4;
}

Now I have 10 such entries in the dhcpd.conf file.  If an unknown laptop/pc
plugs into the network I don't want the server to give out an address but
right now it does.

How do I stop from going so?

Thank you in advance,

Phil