agentless monitoring

Roderick Derks redhat at r71.nl
Wed Feb 20 19:47:18 UTC 2008

Or Nagios: http://www.nagios.org in combination with nagiosgrapher to get some nice graphs and trends.

Takes some time to set it up, but thats with all the monitoring tools. For a lot of things you want to monitor you can use snmp (there are more ways). The comunity is pretty lively. I implemented this system in a network monitoring 245 hosts and around 800 services. From cpu, disk space, temperature, ups system states, brocade switch statusses, web and mailservices, availability of cluster rescources, etc, etc.

Only thing is that you are better of using the command line to configure the nagios config files. But if you like linux, then you should be confortable withthis when you get the hang of how the config files are set up. There are some webtools, but they have their downsides.

Adios,
Roderick