Dual-Core and Quad-Core performance question

Tom Greaser tgreaser at hsc.wvu.edu
Tue Feb 26 17:15:22 UTC 2008

Something you may need to test with is setting the affinity  of the process to your cpu(s) Just like Burke, Thomas G  did a great job talking about bus bottle necks. You dont want the process to lose its VALUABLE L1 cache when running.
example 4 cpu system set affinity for your dbase to use 3 out of the 4 cpus.
taskset -c 3,4 MUMPS

And possibly playing with your schedulers if this is a MUMPS only dbase server.
you can really tweak your OS out to work well with it.

Hello:
        Can anyone point me to some information about the performance
differences of say the following systems.

A) 4 Single-Core CPUs running at 3.0GHz

B) 2 Dual-Core CPUs running at 3.0GHz

C) 1 Quad-Core CPU running at 3.0GHz

Everything else being the same, that is 4GB of memory, disk, etc...

        The reason I ask, is I have been told that a Dual-Core System
will only give about a 25% performance improvement over 1 Single-Core
system. That is not it is not twice as fast.

----
Thanks:
Jack Allen