adding modules to initrd

Rodrick Brown rbrown at BallistaSec.com
Thu Feb 28 15:18:45 UTC 2008

I have a batch of systems that need and updated e1000 driver before the
network device can been seen by the default RHEL5 images provided.

I was able to get the files I needed and now I'm trying to add the
initrd but when trying to do this the system pulls down the new image
but is unable to read it correctly

After what I believe is attempt to load initrd I see a lot of gibberish
on the screen like the file is corrupted I'm not sure what I'm doing
wrong

File myinitrd.img shows its SRV4 format no crc

This seems pretty trivial yet its giving me a major headache if anyone
could help out I would appreciate it.

Here are the steps I used to add the new modules to initrd, the modules
I added overwrite the previous ones.

ahci.ko, e1000.ko

# mkdir /tmp/newinitrd

# cd /tmp/newinitrd

# gzip -d < /home/rbrown/RHEL5_64/images/pxeboot/initrd.img | cpio -i
--make-directories

# cd /tmp/newinitrd/modules

# gzip -d < modules.cgz | cpio -i --make-directories

# cd 2.6.18-8.el5/x86_64

# cp /home/rbrown/dell/*.ko .

# find 2.6.18-8.el5 | cpio -o -H crc | gzip -9 > modules.cgz

# rm -rf 2.6.18-8.el5

# cd /tmp/newinitrd

# find . | cpio -o -c | gzip -9 > /tmp/initrd.img

---

Rodrick R. Brown

rbrown<@>ballistasec<.>com

120 Wall St. Suite 2400