Tripwire, Radmind, Others?

David Tonhofer redhatter at m-plify.net
Fri Jan 11 14:08:37 UTC 2008

Hello sysadmins,

In order to lock down my little system I wanted to invest some
time/money into a program to keeps a
snapshot of the state of the filesystem, i.e. file names, file
attributes and hashes.

I have used "Tripwire" in the 90's and early 00's with some good results
(but had some problems with
its configuration) but then abandoned it as it was no longer packaged
with Red Hat above 8 I think (?).

Anyway, I wanted to look at "radmind" - does anyone have any particular
notable points on it? Are
these filesystem-synapshot approaches still current or are there new
approaches (an enforcing SELinux
or kernel modules collecting information at runtime come to mind).

Best regards,

-- David