Out of Memory issue

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
Thu Jan 17 15:44:40 UTC 2008

Hello Mark,
                       Thanks for the reply. We run ls Dyna software on
these machines which is what takes up most of the memory when it is running
jobs. I had a quick look around and it seems that if i set the
lower_zone_protection value in /proc/sys/vm to 100 it may fix my issue. The
problem i have now is that the file does not currently exist in
/proc/sys/vm and i cannot create the file in there either manually or by
running " echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/lower_zone_protection. Does anyone know
how i can get this value set so it picks it up when the machine is
rebooted.

Regards

Andrew Bridgeman

P.s In answer to your questions i am not aware of any issue with Ls Dyna
leaking memory and i am sure that the system has not been comprimised.
|+--------------------------+---------------------------------------------|
||   <m.roth2006 at rcn.com>   |                                             |
||   Sent by:               |           To:        General Red Hat Linux  |
||   redhat-list-bounces at red|   discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>  |
||   hat.com                |           cc:                               |
||                          |           Subject:        Re: Out of Memory |
||   17/01/2008 15:13       |   issue                                     |
||   Please respond to      |                                             |
||   General Red Hat Linux  |                                             |
||   discussion list        |                                             |
||                          |                                             |
|+--------------------------+---------------------------------------------|

Andrew,

>Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:12:31 +0000
>From: Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
>
>I currently have a problem with our Redhat Machines running out of memory
>and automatically killing the main process that is running on the machine
>at the time. Below is my kernel version and the text from the messages
<snip>
It's rather unlikely that the o/s has such a severe memory leak. More
likely is that you're running software that's leaking like a sieve. What
large processes are you running? Or, for that matter, is there any
possibility that your system's been compromised, and the malware is running
out the resources?

mark

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Limited nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities