Minimal RHEL4 install

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Jan 25 08:12:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Barry Brimer wrote:

> I know this is for CentOS .. but I have used it with RHEL
> with no problems.

no -- it is NOT "for CentOS" ;) CentOS was merely the platform
at which 'we sat down to develop and document a kickstart
configuration file and script, to work generally for any
anaconda installation mediated host' RHEL is one.

The script also works fine for RHL 6.0 on, Aurora 1 on, my
Netwinders, Scientific Linux (all), Yellow Dog Linux 3 on, or
(one assumes) any Fedora.  Each use anaconda, and have
sufficient minimal %post scripting capabilities.

> http://www.owlriver.com/tips/tiny-centos/

All the action happens in the script part in the %post -- it
was not optimized for speed, and the whitelist handling is not
so good, and stale but hey -- I've been doing hands off
installations and testing for a long time now.  Speed was (and
is) not in the design requrements.

But, nothing prevents a person from running it on a standalone
basis,  post-install.  I pushed a copy a while back to:
 	ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/local/COLUG/tiny-centos.sh
so I may pull and run it to put a fat box on a starter diet.
[last August, I started stashing bits and pieces I use at
local LUG presentations in that part of the FTP tree --
Don't worry; the Debian and OS/X bits are harmless ;) ]

-- Russ herrold
 	(the author)
--
end