Increasing Space in Software Raid

Broekman, Maarten Maarten.Broekman at FMR.COM
Wed Jan 30 16:10:31 UTC 2008

If the disks are hotswap capable, you won't need a restart.  If the
disks are not hotswap capable, then you'll need to shut down the system
to replace them.

The best thing would be to recreate the partitions exactly the same on
the new disks first to make sure everything is still working fine.  Then
increase the size of the partitions through fdisk and expand the
filesystem with resize2fs.

Maarten Broekman

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of John J. Culkin
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:44 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Increasing Space in Software Raid

Thanks for the replys

Isn't it a little more complicated then that. I would have to make
partitions on the new device and then I would have to expand then later

Let me see if I can get a little Betty Crocker recipe here so that we
are all on the same page

#Fail on device
mdadm --fail /dev/sda1
#Remove the failed drive and then replace it with a larger disk
# mount the disk and format it (would I need a restart in there?)
# Here is where it gets a little tricky for me
# I think I need to make matching partitions on the larger device so
that I can bring it into the RAIDs (one for /boot, one for / root)
#once that is rebuild I will break the raid again so that I can remove
the remaining smaller disk
#I will then insert the new disk and mout and formate it
# before I bring the new disk into the raid I will want to grow the size

of the / root raid - this will also mean that I will have to grow its
partition - any tips on that?

Am I missing anything?

-- John C.

--
John J. Culkin			Systems Administrator
John.Culkin at Scranton.edu	The University of Scranton