Growing a LVM filesystem

Sandor W. Sklar ssklar at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 1 19:17:21 UTC 2008

On Jan 1, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Joey Prestia wrote:

> My question is this how do i grow the filesystem? Parted apparently
> cant handle it (I tried it by specifing parted /dev/VG_01/LV_01 )and
> it told me filesystem has an incompatible feature enabled. I dont
> know of another tool that is a command line tool that is available
> to use.

Here is the procedure we use:
This procedure assumes that the LUNs are already configured on the
system with multipathing, made into physical volumes, and extended
into the relavent volume group.

In the example below, all free space in the VG "nsvg" will be added to
the filesystem "/nsfs03".

Resize the logical volume containing the filesystem
Obtain the amount of free space in the volume group via vgdisplay(8).
It is best to use the actual number of extents (physical/logical) with
the lvextend command, instead of specifing relative amounts. See the
lvextend(8) man page for details.

[root at host ~]# lvextend -l +398260 /dev/nsvg/lvol2
Extending logical volume lvol2 to 2.45 TB
   Logical volume lvol2 successfully resized
Grow the filesystem to use the full size of the expanded logical volume
NOTE NOTE NOTE:

	• The filesystem has to be mounted while doing this; this is stupid,
but fact. It is probably best to minimize activity while it is running.
	• The ext2online(8) command can take a long time (like, an hour or
two, for a multi-TB filesystem) to complete, depending on the size of
the filesystem.
	• It is probably a bad thing if this command gets interrupted, so you
might want to run it under "nohup" or "at", or in a "screen" session.
[root at host ~]# ext2online -v /nsfs03
... snip ...
group 7629 inode table has offset 2, not 1027
using 964 reserved group descriptor blocks
creating group 20074 with 32768 blocks (rsvd = 867, newgd = 157)
cache direct hits: 12349, indirect hits: 97, misses: 100

--
Sandor W. Sklar, Unix Systems Administrator
Stanford University Libraries & Academic Information Resources (SULAIR)