an authentication problem

John O'Loughlin j.oloughlin at qmul.ac.uk
Sun Jan 6 01:08:54 UTC 2008

on the machine that they can't log into I would first of all try getent
passwd -- can you see their accounts? Even if th accounts are stored in
NIS or ldap you should see them if the machine is set up to. If not then
thats the problem, if yes then try to su to one of those accounts to see
if that works.
If it does, then it looks like the problem is perhaps when they ssh to the
machine, is AllowUsers set in /etc/ssh/sshd_config perhaps not allowing
them? Perhaps you could log into one of the machines they are using and
try ssh -v to the machine as one of them.

hope that helps

John