RHEL4 & LDAP is really slow

Hi,

I just noticed this today and don't recall ever seeing it before. We have 2 machines running RHEL 4. All others are running RHEL 3 and 1 running RHEL 5.

They all authenticate users from OpenLDAP. One of the machines running RHEL 4 responds extremely slow to user logins or anything to do with the LDAP. I checked /var/log/messages and I see a lot of this:

Jan  8 23:21:28 proline sshd: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server...
Jan  8 23:21:28 proline sshd: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server...
Jan 8 23:21:28 proline sshd: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server (sleeping 4 seconds)... Jan 8 23:21:32 proline sshd: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server (sleeping 8 seconds)... Jan 8 23:21:40 proline sshd: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server (sleeping 16 seconds)...

None of the other machines are suffering from this problem including the other RHEL 4 machine.

If I try executing ldapsearch on this problem machine, it responds quickly as expected.

There is nothing in the logs on the I'm not sure where else to look or what to look for. Any suggestions?

Ryan