Re: RHEL4 & LDAP is really slow

Thanks all. It turns out the DNS nameserver entries in /etc/resolve.conf were incorrect. We migrated to new DNS servers and somehow this server was missed. After that was fixed everything was working fine.

Javier Palacios wrote:
They all authenticate users from OpenLDAP.  One of the machines running
RHEL 4 responds extremely slow to user logins or anything to do with the
LDAP.  I checked /var/log/messages and I see a lot of this:

Jan  8 23:21:28 proline sshd: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server...
Jan  8 23:21:28 proline sshd: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server...
Jan  8 23:21:28 proline sshd: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server
(sleeping 4 seconds)...
Jan  8 23:21:32 proline sshd: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server
(sleeping 8 seconds)...
Jan  8 23:21:40 proline sshd: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server
(sleeping 16 seconds)...
[...]
There is nothing in the logs on the I'm not sure where else to look or
what to look for.  Any suggestions?

It is probably there, but check that nscd is up & running

Javier Palacios