[OT] postfix and multiple domains help

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Jan 16 19:30:40 UTC 2008

Mike Burger wrote:
>> I know this is off-topic, but I've run out of ideas (and ways to Google
>> it), so I'm begging for help here.  I've got a postfix mail server on
>> RHEL 4 that serves up 4 or 5 virtual mail domains.  That in itself was
>> really easy.
>>
>> My problem stems from the need to setup mail aliases for those domains
>> to existing virtual accounts.  I.e.:
>>
>> user at domain1.org --virtual mail box
>> user2 at domain1.org is an alias of user1 at domain.org.
>>
>> My problem is I cannot find any documentation that clearly explains how
>> to do this, if it's actually possible.  It's bound to be something
>> simple, but I'm missing it.
>>
>> Anybody had to do this before?
>
> Actually, it's not that hard.
>
> What I did was create a file, /etc/postfix/virtusertable, formatted like so:
>
> domain1.org Descriptive Name of domain 1
> user1 at domain1.org localusername1
> user2 at domain1.org localusername2
> @domain1.org localusernameX (this domain user wished a catch all)
>
> domain2.org Descriptive Name of domain 2
> user1 at domain2.org localusername
>
> etc, etc.
>
> Next, run "postmap has:/etc/postfix/virtusertable" to create the hash db.
>
> Next, add "virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtusertable" to your
> /etc/postfix/main.cf.
>
> Also, make sure you have a file like "/etc/postfix/virtual_domains"
> containing the virtual domains, and then add the path to that file in
> main.cf as a line looking like:
>
> mydestination = /etc/postfix/virtual_domains.
>
> Alternately, you could list the virtual domains directly on the
> "mydestination" line, but I like to keep my main.cf as clean as possible.
>
> Now, "service postfix reload" or "/etc/init.d/postfix reload" to reload
> the configuration and bring in the virtual user table and the list of
> virtual domains, and voila!!!

This is fine,but I'm not using local users directly.  I'm using virtual
mailboxes and virtual domains.  I have a customer who owns several
domains and wants individual mailboxes for each domain.  So, I have set
everything up for that using /etc/postfix/vmailbox with entries like:

johndoe at domain1.org	domain1.org/johndoe/
janedoe at domain2.org	domain2.org/janedoe/

so that I do not need to create/manage so many local user accounts.  The
problem is how I alias 'jane at domain2.org' to 'janedoe at domain2.org' with
this setup.  It's completely eluded me so far.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support