Resizing virtual machine harddrive in RHEL 5

Geofrey Rainey Geofrey.Rainey at tvnz.co.nz
Thu Jan 17 00:31:02 UTC 2008

Presumably you would have something like the following in your xen
configuration file for this host:

"Disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda2, disk_name, w' ]"

I think you would need to build your guest system with the partition
disk_name as a logical volume, ie disk_name
Being a logical volume which one could then resize within the guest
system. I too have thought about
What you are experiencing and to get around it I have had to create a
new partition within the host
and present it to the guest like so:

"Disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda2, disk_name1, w', 'phy:/dev/sda3, disk_name2, w'
]"

However, perhaps all this can be averted if the disk presented to the
guest is created as a logical
Volume as described above during the guest installation procedure.

Regards,
Geofrey.