NTP time reset?

Ravi Shanmugam ravi.shanmugam at sasken.com
Wed Jan 23 06:38:45 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I am using ntp to synchronise time between 2 computers. In one computer
I am observing the following log in the /var/log/messages.

Jan 17 00:49:56 chbsc301 ntpd[5940]: kernel time sync disabled 0041
Jan 17 00:50:59 chbsc301 ntpd[5940]: kernel time sync enabled 0001
Jan 17 00:54:32 chbsc301 ntpd[5940]: synchronized to 192.168.0.3,
stratum 13
Jan 17 01:00:09 chbsc301 crond(pam_unix)[9097]: session opened for user
root by (uid=0)
Jan 17 01:00:10 chbsc301 crond(pam_unix)[9097]: session closed for user
root
Jan 17 01:08:46 chbsc301 ntpd[5940]: time reset +17.656804 s

My doubt is in the last line in the above log, the time reset values is
around +17.656804 seconds. Is this normal? Normally I see below 1 second
as time reset.
Could some linux gurus, please clear my doubt.

Thanks,

Regds,
Ravi R.S

SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER
-------------------------
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. In
case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or
indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are
requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message
shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication
Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due
authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of
viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email