USB disks

I have a laCie auxiliary disk which has been working on a 2.4.21-53 RedHat system. The disk was accidently turned off during the afternoon. Now I cannot get the device recognized by the system again. The system can't open /dev/sdb.

I was able to mount the disk on a newer RedHat system, but I need to get it working on the previous system.

What  should I do next?