[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: USB disks



No, not only on 2.4 kernels. On the 2.6.19-1.2895 kernel too (Fedora Core 6). I dont know about FC7 or 8 and USB hard drives.

Roderick
----- Original Message -----
From: "Geofrey Rainey" <Geofrey Rainey tvnz co nz>
To: "Roderick" <redhat r71 nl>, "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Sent: 23 January 2008 23:46:24 o'clock (GMT+0100) Europe/Berlin
Subject: RE: USB disks

Are you both experiencing these issues on the 2.4 kernel - where USB
support was not as mature as on the 2.6 
Kernel where USB support is a lot better. 

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Roderick Derks
Sent: Thursday, 24 January 2008 11:44 a.m.
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: USB disks

I have experienced the same issue using USB hard drives when using
Fedora. It's strange you have to reboot the OS. Is there anyone who
knows how to avoid a reboot in these situations?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Margaret Doll" <Margaret_Doll brown edu>
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:35:53 PM (GMT+0100) Europe/Berlin
Subject: Re: USB disks

Geofrey,

	 I found the problem.

	RedHat has to be booted.  The USB disk cannot have any
electrical current to the disk.
Then connect the USB to the RedHat system.  Now plug the USB disk into
the electrical current to turn it on.

	You will see the disk listed using

lsusb

	Reboot your system and the USB disk is recognized as the old
/dev/sdb again.

	I don't know why this works, but I am glad I have it working
again.

	Thanks for all your  help.


On Jan 23, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Geofrey Rainey wrote:

> Try unplugging it, then type:
>
> # tail -f /var/log/messages
>
> Then plug it back in - you should see messages written to this file.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com
> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Margaret Doll
> Sent: Thursday, 24 January 2008 10:54 a.m.
> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
> Subject: Re: USB disks
>
> Nope.  I just see the system disk.
>
> On Jan 23, 2008, at 4:48 PM, Geofrey Rainey wrote:
>
>> The device might have changed names - from /dev/sdb to /dev/sda/c/d/e

>> etc
>>
>> Can you see the device with:
>>
>> # fdisk -l
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com
>> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Margaret Doll
>> Sent: Thursday, 24 January 2008 10:37 a.m.
>> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
>> Subject: USB disks
>>
>> I have a laCie auxiliary disk which has been working on a 2.4.21-53 
>> RedHat system.  The disk was accidently turned off  during the 
>> afternoon.  Now  I cannot get the  device recognized by  the system 
>> again.  The  system can't  open /dev/sdb.
>>
>> I was able to mount the disk on  a newer RedHat system, but I need to

>> get it working on the previous  system.
>>
>> What  should I do next?
>>
>>
>> --
>> redhat-list mailing list
>> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
>> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>> ==========================================================
>> For more information on the Television New Zealand Group, visit us 
>> online at tvnz.co.nz 
>> ==========================================================
>> CAUTION:  This e-mail and any attachment(s) contain information that 
>> is intended to be read only by the named recipient(s).  This 
>> information is not to be used or stored by any other person and/or 
>> organisation.
>>
>>
>> --
>> redhat-list mailing list
>> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
>> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
> ==========================================================
> For more information on the Television New Zealand Group, visit us 
> online at tvnz.co.nz 
> ==========================================================
> CAUTION:  This e-mail and any attachment(s) contain information that 
> is intended to be read only by the named recipient(s).  This 
> information is not to be used or stored by any other person and/or 
> organisation.
>
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
==========================================================
For more information on the Television New Zealand Group, visit us
online at tvnz.co.nz 
==========================================================
CAUTION:  This e-mail and any attachment(s) contain information that
is intended to be read only by the named recipient(s).  This information
is not to be used or stored by any other person and/or organisation.




[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]