about building rpm from using tarball

hello,

 I have tried building rpm from the tarball(.gz file). But when I build
using command "rpm -ta rpm tarballname.gz then it throws the error as " -ta
as unknown option".

Also if spec file is available in the tarball, then what are the steps to
follow to build the rpm and if the spec file is not there then what are the
steps to follow to build the rpm.

pls reply to this query as soon as possible.

Thanks

regards

parimala