scripting problem

I am hoping that someone here can help me with this.  I am running a little
script that backs up some directories for me.  Below is snippet that gets me
into trouble.
---------------------
#!/bin/sh
DIRSTOBACKUP=`/bin/ls -d1 /home/user/*`
for NAMEDIR in ${DIRSTOBACKUP[ ]}
do
echo $NAMEDIR
done

The problem is that some of the directories have spaces in the names.  When
running the for loop, it will take the new NAMEDIR at the space.  So "Red
Hat" would end up listing as 2 directories, "Red" and "Hat".  Any way around
this?

Thanks
Steve