scripting problem

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Wed Jan 30 08:30:12 UTC 2008

Untill somebody uses a '=' sign in the name of a directory...

The IFS solution is probably a lot safer.

One other solution would be to make tar create several files with a
maximum size of 2G.  If you want I'll post the scripts I use for this
but it's little more than an extended version of the example code in the
tar manual.

A basic example is explained at
http://www.cgi-interactive-uk.com/splitting_large_files.html, but more
examples can be found by googling "tar multi volume".  The example
described on this page is interactive but you can also use a script for
this as explained on e.g.
http://cclib.nsu.ru/projects/gnudocs/gnudocs/tar/tar_137.html.

Regards

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING  310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB