apache & rss feeds

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Mon Jul 21 20:36:12 UTC 2008

Chaim Rieger wrote:
> m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
>> Anyone here know if I have to add something to my apache configuration
>> file so that it serves a .rss? I can get to the site with no trouble,
>> but if I tell it adv.rss, instead of index.php, I get "not found". The
>> file's in the same directory, and ownership & permissions are correct.
>>
> rss is a format, not just a standard file,

That I know....

> assuming that the rss file is properly formated, and you want this rss
> file to be displayed instead of index.(php/html/etc...) add it to your
> index listings in httpd.conf

I've tried
AddType application/xml .rss
which I gather from googling is suggested, but still no joy. I'll try adding it
as a doc index when I get back to work manana....

> however i have never tried this, and dont know if apache knows how to
> interpret an rss file, you might need a backend (php/asp/java something
> or other) converter.

Apache isn't doing the interpreting, just handing it off. This whole effort's,
that this is the last part of, has been an incredible
no-one-knows-nothing-but-we're-going-to-do-it....

Thanks for the suggestion.

	mark