mondo

Chet Nichols III chet.nichols at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 23:57:35 UTC 2008

agreed. installing a fresh OS on the new server and moving over any data to
the new one will be quicker and cleaner than trying to deal with all sorts
of old cruft that might come over from a backup copy.

this is when it comes in handy to lay out your filesystem in a way that
makes it easy to migrate/move stuff around. ie: we keep our web/database
stuff under a directory /data, and have standard configs for all of our apps
so we always know what's going to be installed where. it makes fresh
installs happen a lot quicker, and any type of emergency migrations just as
quick and easy,

if you run a bunch of hosts, building up your own flat file software trees
in a repository to manage installs makes it even easier. in your case i'm
not sure if you manage a bunch of hosts, but just a few little suggestions
and ideas :)

good luck!

chet

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Andrew Bacchi <bacchi at rpi.edu> wrote:

> Mad Unix wrote:
>
>> How can i accomplish this mission or do i need to reinstall the server
>> from
>> scratch?--
>>
> Starting from the beginning is alway the best way and always faster than
> trying it your way.  Installing an OS on a new box takes me 15 minutes from
> kickstart.  Upgrades and service software another hour at most.
>
> I can have most of my systems rebuilt from zero in one to two hours each.
>
>  veritatas simplex oratio est
>>       -Seneca
>>
>> Andrew Bacchi
>> Systems Programmer