Password Complexity in Linux

Stephen Carville stephen.carville at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 05:50:48 UTC 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008 9:19 am, karthik keyan wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I would like to setup passwd complexity on our Linux servers .
>
> Min 8 characters - 1 upper , 1 digit and 1 Lower character
>
> Last used 4 passwords should not be used
>
> And also i want to set Passwd expiry for user accounts which are already
> created and These passwd complexity should apply to users which has alreay
> been created .
> I Need  your valuable help and advice

How many servers?  If you have more than about six or eight I'd suggest
Kerberos for passwords.  Create a policy for  what you want and apply it to
the relevant user accounts.   The downside if you cannot easily migrate your
existing passwords so you'll need a transition plan that won't upset your
users.

It is possible to use both local passwords and Kerberos in parallel so you can
put new users on Kerberos and migrate old users at the next password change.

--
Stephen