ssh

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Tue Jul 1 12:38:57 UTC 2008

Joy

I don't believe (but let me stress that this is my opinion) that anybody
here believes you shouldn't ask questions.

But since (almost ?) everybody on a list like this is helping other
people out on their own time most of us expectthat anybody posting to
this (and other) lists has at least tried to solve the problem
themselves.
I'm not saying you haven't but then again you haven't provided much
insight either.  And because we have only a fairly limited amount of
information available we have to fill in the blanks ourselves.
Considering most people on this list are likely to be in an
administrative role and therefore always confronted with possible
intrusions and the like you are not likely to find people here who take
kindly with something that - given the information available - looks
suspicious.

Consider the following: if somebody stopped you on the street and asked
you to pick the lock of the door os some house.  Without knowing whether
or not this person owns the house or has any other valid reason to get
into the house would you help?  I hope not.  In fact - given that my
house has been burgled already - I hope you'd notify the authorities in
stead.

You may have perfectly valid reasons for trying to access a machine even
though you don't have physical access to the box and don't know a valid
password for it.  But we cannot judge this and helping you at this point
might even make us accomplices to a crime.

I would recommend that you read
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html .  It gives some
excellent advise on how to ask questions on lists just like this one.
If you follow the advise on this page and you can show that what you are
trying to do is legitimate I'm confident one of the knowledgeable people
on this list will be able and willing to help you.

Kind regards

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING  310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB