IBM server slows down

Andrew Bacchi bacchi at rpi.edu
Sun Jul 13 12:05:32 UTC 2008

Some basic system troubleshooting is needed here.

What is the load average, and is it fairly constant over time?  "uptime"
will report load average.
Issue "top", what is the CPU load?  And how many CPUs does the machine
have?  Are they all busy?
How much memory is used, how much swap?  "free" will give this info.
Is the /tmp directory full, or any other directory?  "df" command .
Is there an errant process, that is eating up all resources?  "top" again.

Then look at your telnet connections, and see if the network connection
is causing your slowness.

--
veritatas simplex oratio est
       -Seneca