NFS problems between RHEL4 U3 and RHEL4U6

jerry.feldman at algorithmics.com jerry.feldman at algorithmics.com
Mon Jul 14 13:57:29 UTC 2008

My primary NFS server is running RHEL4 Update3 (unpatched). I just added
a few servers running U6. (The specific release I run is specified by
our IT department). The problem I am seeing is:
When I save an 8MB file from our application on a client RHEL4U3 machine
the save time is about 1 second. When I perform the same test on a
client running RHEL4U6, the save takes about 2 minutes.

As a test, I exported a directory from one of the RHELU6 systems, and
the save times were good on both an update 3 and update 6 client. So,
one solution is to upgrade U3 to U6. (I would probably do a fresh
install). But, that requires some downtime, and the server room is not
accessible after hours. (All disks are removable so I probably could
move the volume group to one of the existing servers to minimize
downtime).

I would like to know if there is some existing NFS issue between U3 and
U6. If I could provide a temporary fix, that would be a better interim
solution until the additional drives I ordered arrive.

--
Jerry Feldman <Jerry.Feldman at algorithmics.com>
Algorithmics (US), Inc

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and proprietary to Algorithmics Incorporated and its affiliates ("Algorithmics"). If received in error, use is prohibited. Please destroy, and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. Algorithmics does not accept liability for any errors or omissions. Any commitment intended to bind Algorithmics must be reduced to writing and signed by an authorized signatory.