Forcing users to change password at login - Probably "Again"

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Tue Jul 15 14:25:06 UTC 2008

Ben Kevan wrote:

> And just to make me feel bad..
>
> chage -d 0 does what my script does.. but for some reason when you su username
> in RHEL 4 it does not look for the expiration in /etc/shadow

It does here.
# chage -d 0 testuser2

$ su - testuser2
Password:
You are required to change your password immediately (root enforced)
Changing password for testuser2
(current) UNIX password:

Maybe you have modified some configuration which breaks it. Check
/etc/pam.d/su and system-auth.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555