SCSI Hard disk problem

Dr. Madhurjya P. Bora mpbora at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 15:22:30 UTC 2008

Dear Members,

We have an old IBM x225 series server with RAID 1 controller (Ultra 320) with two 36GB hard disk installed (as RAID 1 :/dev/sda). We have now acquired two compatible SCSI hard disks from IBM each with 146GB capacity. I have just inserted the HDs into the front empty slots and configured them as /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc (no raid, just two extra disks), each having only one large partition which is intended to hold some of the user files.

I have partitioned them with fdisk and make an ext3 file system with journal. After that I copied the user data dir to the new partition with "cp -p" to preserve time-stamp and ownership and enabled quota. I then replaced the mounting label in /etc/fstab in the old disk with the new disk i.e. replacing /dev/sda2 with /dev/sdb1.

The system works fine after reboot but after some time (say a day or two) the system complains of the new hard disk (/dev/sdb1) that it contains a filesystem with errors and get it to a fsck session which spans for about an hour. After that the system runs smoothly for about a day and again the same problem occurs.

I am at my wits end as I can not see any procedural anamoly in my installation. BTW, the server runs Redhat8.0 (which came with it) and as it is just a machine containg some user files, we have not bothered replacing with a newer O/S.

Thanks in advance

--- Madhurjya

Physics Department, Gauhati University
Guwahati 781014, India