Kickstart + DHCP booting from CDROM/Memory Stick

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Fri Jul 25 17:10:10 UTC 2008

Hopefully, this is the last of my weird problems...

I have a bunch of systems on a subnet where IP addresses are given out
by two DHCP servers.  The primary DHCP server hands out addresses to
every machines on this subnet.  The build DHCP server hands out specific
IP addresses to specific machines based on MAC address.  If the primary
DHCP server tries to hand out an address to one of a group of machines,
the build DHCP server NAKs that address and forces a specific address.

Don't ask why we do it this way, we just do and don't have a choice.

In any case, if I boot RHEL5 for kickstarting a machine, from DVD, the
correct IP address is obtained.  If I boot from a USB Memory stick, the
wrong IP address is obtained.  I can consistently reproduce this.

I highly doubt its the DHCP servers since this has been functioning for
more than 5 yrs now.  I suspect there is a difference in the boot
process from memory stick to CD, but I'm not sure and am hoping someone
here has more information?

I don't want to have to burn a DVD each time there is a new RHEL release
when creating a bootdisk image on a memory stick is much easier.

Ryan