ACL

Jack Spitznagel sancho at frawg.org
Mon Jul 28 15:42:51 UTC 2008

There are some instances where denial of direct access to data is a
governmental requirement.

Example: The US government has (for better or worse) enacted the
Heathcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act because of a
number of egregious violations of privacy by drug companies and other
interested parties (read personal injury lawyers) who profited by data
mining health records. Unfortunately unscrupulous sysops and records
admins were among those who were party to passing private healthcare
data along to unauthorized third parties. Under HIPAA, a patient must
give express access permission to a sysop at a healthcare organization
for their personal information, otherwise that data is handled in
encrypted blocks that can not be accessed by those without proper
authority.

In practice, a system admin often has access to information that would
enable them access to patient information, but the monitoring of these
systems and the incredibly stiff penalties (IIRC $11,000 or more per
incident) acts as a check on the curious.

-J