Windows and RH

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 21:30:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll at brown.edu>
wrote:

> Pat,
>
> On Jun 12, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
>
>  On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 13:22 -0400, Margaret Doll wrote:
>>
>>> I have a user who installed RH on the first disk in a system.  They
>>> then switch the first and second disk.  Windows was then installed on
>>> the "new" first disk.
>>>
>>> How do I fix the boot sequence so that both systems are accessible
>>> without re-installing RedHat?
>>>

>> Here is a good resource, it applies to all linux systems
>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_boot some knowledge of what all is
>> going on is a prerequisite but google can fill in the blanks for you as
>> needed....
>>

> The instructions say to install Windows first.  The problem is that the
> user
> installed RedHat first and then Windows.
>

>  Pat
>>
>> --

This is not a big problem.
There are instructions on the web (I have seen them.  google "windows linux
dual boot", etc.).  You can boot Linux from the Windows boot loader and you
can boot Windows from Grub.  (You can even use Grub to boot just
Windows--that is, no Linux partition at all but that isn't your situation.)

Grub and the Windows boot-loader both reside in the MBR (master boot record)
so either will do.

You can even load Grub over the Windows boot-loader after the fact.  It just
it is easier to load Windows first and then load Linux.

Another topic, have you taken the time to berate and belittle your end
user.
All work and no play makes an admin a dull admin.
The BOFH has plenty of suggestions, too!
LOL!