question?

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 15:18:15 UTC 2008

first, you should go to your bank and talk to a (real, live, person)
customer representative.
if your bank or a branch of your bank is not local, call them on the phone.

your bank will want you to pay legitimate purchases and/or ones that you did
not stop.

get your bank situation straightened out first before you go contacting Red
Hat or other vendors.

the idea is to limit your liability.

your bank can issue new credit cards with new account numbers, new debit
cards with new account numbers, new checking accounts with new account
numbers, new savings accounts with new account numbers.  it is a necessary
pita.  (I have a friend that cancels all the account every two years
regardless.)

if you are at a school (edu), the school will have people (student services,
registrar, etc.) that can help with this process.  (That is, at east give
you instructions on how to deal with this situation.  Banks, credit card
companies also have this information on the internet.  a google search will
also have lots of advice and lists.)

second, contact the police and speak with the officer in charge of your
case.  Red Hat can supply information that should lead to the thief.

third, learn from this.  prepare so that it doesn't happen again.  (it might
not stop some occurrences of identify thief but you can stop most identity
thiefs.)

I am sorry that this has happened to you.  You will get through this.
(Please don't become a lawyer because of this.)