Advice on setting up a stage environment

Nabeel Moidu nabeelmoidu at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 12:26:35 UTC 2008

Hi

I'm trying to setup a server that will be used by multiple users in my
department. some of them are java developers, while some are php
developers.

The server needs to run both tomcat and apache. I need to setup the
servers such that

1) Users should be able to upload files to the apache and tomcat root
( of course without upsetting the default permissions on the folder (
644 ) and ownership apache.apache and tomcat.tomcat )
2) Any code uploaded( I'm using ftp here) by the php developers should
be automatically owned by apache user. And that uploaded by java
developers should be owned by tomcat user.
3) The  tomcat and apache users should not be used for the ftp logins
( I don't think its a secure practice, if anyone has other opinions
pls let me know)

I was able to do this with one user using virtual users on ftp. I gave
the developer a login and set chown_upload to apache user. But it does
not work for multiple users.
Another option is add users to the tomcat or apache groups and set 664
on the document root folders but I'd prefer something better.

How do you normally setup development environments while maintaining
the security policies of the company ?

--
Thanks and Regards
Nabeel Moidu