Simple external RAID backup?

Chet Nichols III chet.nichols at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 17:45:30 UTC 2008

Noticed no one ever responded to this.. but.. I agree that you should go
with software raid and use md. The only drawbacks I'd say for this are that
it's not SATA, and I'd question what this means:
>> Each drive shows independatly to the operating system with top transfer
speeds reaching 34Mps

Since it's USB 2.0 it should be nearing 60MB/sec, so not sure where they get
the 34Mps number from.. and, is it 34Mb or 34MB? I'm hoping they at least
mean 34MB.

Have you looked into the Buffalo LinkStation or TeraStation NAS products at
all?

Chet

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Scott Ehrlich <scott at mit.edu> wrote:

> I'm looking for a cheap external raid solution for a RedHat Workstation 5
> box.
>
> My plan would be a device, such as possibly the
> http://www.cooldrives.com/qubayalretru.html
>
> and load it with four drives.   Since the device itself likely does not
> support RAID 5, I'd anticipate the four drives could simply appear as four
> individual volumes, and I'd use the RH 5 tools to create a software RAID 5.
>
> Any known problems/limitations with this idea?
>
> What other, similar devices, possibly more reliable, are available?
>
> Portability would be really nice.   If the PC it is connected to goes down,
> I could simply build up another box and connect this device to the new
> system.
>
> The goal is to have it act as hard drive storage for backups of mounted
> CIFS volumes.   Not currently mission-critical data, but it would be very
> nice to have a low-cost RAID 5 backup setup to start with.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

chet nichols III
chet.nichols at gmail.com