Cluster File system ( open source/ Commercial)?

aydin sasmaz sasmaz at itu.edu.tr
Sun Jun 1 18:27:40 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I don't know how much disk storage do you need but, I strogly suggested to
use lustre filesystem for an hpc cluster. It is straightforward to install.
This filesystem is an distributed file system and uses mds (metadata server
or servers) and object storage servers for raw data. On the top of this
there is an admin services running. In the technical university of Istanbul
we implement Lustre 1.6 and tested.

Formerly it was opensource. After that sun bought this from a firm called
cluster filesystem. http://www.clusterfs.com and there is also free version
www.lustre.org.

If you prefer to use a enterprise solution, you can choose a product from
hp, it is SFS20 (HP-Scaleable File Share) which is also based on lustre
filesystem.

cheers