Help with installing packages for Oracle 10g

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 21:55:26 UTC 2008

2008/6/4 Scott R. Ehrlich <scott at mit.edu>:
> I am trying to install Oracle client 10g (10.2.0) on a 64-bit CentOS 5.0
> system.
>
> 'rpm -q make gcc glibc etc' reveals some packages as "not installed", yet a
> yum install <package name> consistently returns Nothing to do. Yum list
> available <package name> yields nothing needed.
>
> If rpm -q <list of packages> lists some that are "not installed" but every
> variant of yum install and yum list I've tried and googled claiims nothing
> more needs to be installed, either the OS is misreporting (I doubt that) or
> I'm missing something that is not easily being revealed, or that I haven't
> used in a long time and outright forgetting.
>
> I still need (per rpm -q):
>
> compat-gcc
> compat-gcc-c++
> compat-libstsdc++-devel
> openmotif21
> gnome-libs
>

> Thanks for any insight.
>
> Scott

I know you are running a 64-bit system, but are you installing a
64-bit or a 32-bit Oracle client?  If the latter, you'll probably need
the 32-bit rpms.  You can tell which version you have installed by
running
# rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}.%{RELEASE} (%{ARCH})" |
grep <RPM_name>
E.g.:
# rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}.%{RELEASE} (%{ARCH})" |
grep compat-gcc

Alternatively, have you tried verifying or de-installing and
re-installing the packages that supposedly are "not installed"?

Kind regards,

Herta
--
"Life on Earth may be expensive,
 but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."