softlink

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Jun 5 09:34:05 UTC 2008

On 05Jun2008 03:15, Joy Methew <ml4joy at gmail.com> wrote:
|              when we create soft link of any file.then soft link permission
| *lrwxrwxrwx
|              *but it`s not working .....what is the mean of this
| permission????

Generally it means nothing whatsoever.

Any file you can reach via a symbolic/soft link can be reached directly
by name anyway (since that's all that's in the symlink). So permissions
on the link itself do not do anything useful for access. And since you
cn't edit a symlink, merely remove it and make a different one,
other permissions are not useful either. Finally, on some filesystems
a symlink isn't a "real" object at all (i.e. not something with an
inode), and is just a special type of entry in the directory itself - so
again, no permissions.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the
best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't
last out the year.
      --The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957