Growing Clustered LVM2 volumes

Joel Heenan jheenan at fairfaxmedia.com.au
Wed Jun 11 01:23:11 UTC 2008

I am looking for detailed instructions on how to grow a LVM2 GFS volume.

I have a 3 node cluster with a shared disk running GFS across them. I
performed the following steps but was not successful:

1. Resized the disk on SAN from 50GB to 100GB
2. Halted the cluster and unmounted the disk on all nodes
3. Rebooted node 3 and executed pvresize. This command did not pick up
the new size of the disk (but fdisk -l did).
4. Using fdisk deleted and re-created the LVM partition so that it was
now using the entire disk
5. Restarted node 3
6. At this point node 3 no longer saw the disk as containing the LVM
volume and I believe I had probably corrupted my data. I used pvcreate
with the uuid flag to try and revive the data and then restored the vg
information from backup from one of the other nodes but it was not
sucessful.

My question is, given a 3 node cluster with GFS running on a clustered
LVM2 volume, how do I resize the physical volume from 50GB to 100GB

The servers are all running:
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)"

They are AMD 64-bit DL585's. Our san is an EVA8000. The cards are all
QLogic HBA's.

Thanks

Joel

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.