*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption RedHat 4 AS

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 14:08:37 UTC 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 07:44:55 -0500, mark wrote:

> Bhat, Ajit wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > We always build our product on passing machine which is Linux 4 ES and
> > same code now testing on Linux 4 AS. Glibc and gcc version are different
> > on failing machine.
> <snip>
> You built the program on one box, and then copied it to another box with a
> different glibc?
>
> Um, NOT a good idea.

Why? This is about RHEL 4, where glibc is the same for AS and ES.
Its version is still the same for several years. Just the patch-level
(= package release version) differs from the original RHEL4.

The stacktrace is not helpful, though, (at least not for an outsider)
because it doesn't even enter the application and because debuginfo is
missing. And, of course, it would be important to test against the
very latest glibc update from end of 2007, which is still the same
glibc version.