3ware raid controller card / driver question

Nicholas G. Stamatakos stamatakos.nick at usno.navy.mil
Wed Jun 18 19:29:53 UTC 2008

We just received a server that has a raid 6 controller 9650SE 8LPML from
3ware.

We wish to install redhat EL 5.2 server with virtualization on the
server.

I was told that redhat doesn't have default drivers for this 3ware
device that go along with the 2.5.18 kernel.  I was also told by someone
else that red hat might have back-ported the 2.5.19 kernel with the
3ware drivers to the 2.5.18-xx kernel.

1st question:  Did red hat back-port the 2.5.19 kernel with 3ware
drivers to the 2.5.18-xx kernel?

2nd question:  If red hat did not back-port the necessary drivers and
kernel, I was told that there is a procedure for installing new kernels
with the 3ware drivers?  Can someone point me in the right direction --
where is the documentation for the 3ware kernel/driver updates?

Thanks
Nick
--
Nick Stamatakos