EMC Power Path for RH EL 5.2

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at mckesson.com
Wed Jun 18 22:59:55 UTC 2008

Kris:
	I really do not want to have to downgrade the OS. Unless there
was some change in the kernel API calls Power Path uses, it really
should not matter because the basic kernel version would be the same.
Yes there would be point versions.

	The Power Path driver is a kernel loadable module. When the
kernel does change, then there is a directory that has to be created in
the new kernel tree and rpm run again with the --replacepkgs option to
reinstall the modules. I had to do that several times for RH AS 4.X.

	Another reason is because we compile our Application on the
systems and expect our customer to keep their system up to date. It
really makes it very complex to tell them to upgrade everything but the
kernel until you hear different. Then for all I know there could be
several kernel upgrades say from 5.1 to 5.4 and the driver is only
supported up to 5.2 or will be. Myself and our customers can not easily
if at all select the one to upgrade to. The latest one is the only one
shown by yum.

Thanks:
Jack Allen