what does putty's different text colors of files/folders mean & how to disable

Phil Savoie psavoie1783 at rogers.com
Fri Jun 20 03:05:38 UTC 2008

sunhux G wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I "ssh" into our Linux boxes using freeware putty,
> when listing out files, some files are painted in red text,
> some in blue text & white.
>
> What does the color code mean & how can I change
> them or disable them.  Blue is highly unreadable.
>
> The very same putty ssh into Solaris & HP-UX boxes
> doesn't give rise to these colors.
>

> Thanks

Hi,

Did a quick google and found this:

Executable files: Green
* Normal file : Normal
* Directory: Blue
* Symbolic link : Cyan
* Pipe: Yellow
* Socket: Magenta
* Block device driver: Bold yellow foreground, with black background
* Character device driver: Bold yellow foreground, with black background
* Orphaned syminks : Blinking Bold white with red background
* Missing links ( … and the files they point to) : Blinking Bold white
with red background
* Archives or compressed : Red (.tar, .gz, .zip, .rpm)
* Image files : Magenta (.jpg, gif, bmp, png, tif)

Hope this helps,

Phil