Login Error RHEL

Gus Marmol marmolg at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 20 17:23:39 UTC 2008

Dave,

Check that the hostname is same in:
/etc/sysconfig/network
/etc/hosts

Besides check with the command:
#hostname

 GuS.

----- Original Message ----
From: Dave Martini <martini1 at llnl.gov>
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:58:48 AM
Subject: Login Error RHEL

I'm getting this error when I log into my RHEL4 box at the console as root.

"Cannot find or run the base session script, will try the Gnome
failsafe session for you."

When I click OK I think get this error

"This is the failsafe Gnome session. You will be logged
into the "Default" session of Gnome with no startup scripts run.
This is only to fix problems in your installation."

I get what appears to be the normal looking gnome desktop after
I'm logged in and everything seems ok.
I get the same 2 errors above when I switch to KDE as well.

Does anyone know a fix for this?
Thanks.
Dave.