Known issue with resolving hosts with multiple PTR records?

MacShane, Tracy Tracy.Macshane at AirservicesAustralia.com
Tue Jun 24 02:16:03 UTC 2008

I was wondering if RHEL4 has a known problem with returning multiple PTR records. Carrying out a "host", "dig -x" or "nslookup" against an IP like 202.92.65.220 results in no records at all being returned:
# host 202.92.65.220
;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

Checking the IP from another Linux (not RedHat) server results in 12 PTR records being returned for the host. A Windows server returns the first entry in the list.

There is no problem carrying out name resolution for a host with a single PTR record from the RHEL4 box:
# host 74.125.19.103
103.19.125.74.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer cf-in-f103.google.com.

I'm wondering if it's a fault with the gethostname() function, but I can't find anything in the Red Hat Bugzilla.

Thanks,

Tracy