Known issue with resolving hosts with multiple PTR records?

Chet Nichols III chet.nichols at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 14:00:01 UTC 2008

The RHEL4 (update 6) boxes I tested this one worked fine without an issue.
They truncated (as expected), and switched over to TCP. What update of RHEL4
are you running? And, when you to get the timeout, do you have a tcpdump
capturing what nameservers it tried to reach? There might be a nameserver or
two in there that isn't accepting TCP requests. The fact it seems to be
working for a bunch of people might prove that one otherwise, but you never
know. Would there happen to be any firewalls that are blocking 53/TCP,
either incoming or outgoing, from certain subnets?

Good luck- thanks!

Chet

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:08 AM, MacShane, Tracy <
Tracy.Macshane at airservicesaustralia.com> wrote:

> [...]

chet nichols III
chet.nichols at gmail.com
aim: chet / twitter: chet