RHEL4: python2.3 is needed by package libxml-python

Ken Morley Ken at jmtg.com
Wed Mar 5 21:54:12 UTC 2008

I have a brand new RHEL4 server that I'm trying to update using "yum
update".  It's failing as follows:

----------< snip >----------
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
dag                       100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
00:00
verio                     100% |=========================|  951 B
00:00
rhn                       100% |=========================|  951 B
00:00
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package alpine.i386 0:1.00-1.el4.rf set to be updated
---> Package python.i386 0:2.4.4-1 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: /usr/lib/python2.3 for package:
libxml2-python
Importing Additional filelist information for dependency resolution
--> Processing Dependency: /usr/lib/python2.3 for package:
libxslt-python
Importing Additional filelist information for dependency resolution
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: /usr/lib/python2.3 is needed by package
libxml2-python
Error: Missing Dependency: /usr/lib/python2.3 is needed by package
libxslt-python
----------< snip >----------

The installed versions of these packages are python 2.3.4-14.2,
libxml2-python 2.6.27-1 and libxslt-python 1.1.20-1.  I see there is a
newer version of python (2.4.4-1) in the verio repo.  The other two
installed packages are the latest available.  The versions available in
the rhn repo are both older.

Is this indicating that yum would like to upgrade python to 2.4.4-1, but
doing so would break libxml-python and libxslt-python?  Any suggestions
for getting around the problem?  I like to keep systems updated to
current revision where possible.

Thanks!

Ken Morley
JM Technology Group