Compilation options for coreutils

Alex Reynolds reynolda at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 6 19:44:56 UTC 2008

> Coming in late, and having missed the beginning, is the case that you can't
> install, or that you can't run? If the latter, have you tried ldd?
>
> 	mark

I can run the stock, pre-built binaries without any problems.

What I am doing is compiling coreutils with GCC and ICC and comparing
performance with the RH-built binaries.

To compare apples with apples I'd like to find out what
compiler/compilation options Red Hat used for building the coreutils
packaged with RHEL5.

It's not clear to me from the spec file whether architecture-specific
binaries are built, or if a generic standard is used instead. Likewise,
does RH use GCC, ICC or another compiler altogether for this purpose?

If there is another list better suited for this question, does anyone
know where I might go to ask?

Thanks for any tips,

-Alex