RHEL Server vs. Desktop

Paul Copeland PCopeland at ascentmedia.com
Mon Mar 10 20:31:56 UTC 2008

Hi - I'm trying to understand the difference between the Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5 Server and the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Desktop.  I
downloaded the ISO images for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (5.1).  It looks
like there is just one set of CD images.  We are using this system for
Weblogic application development and are not interested in personal
productivity features (word processing, etc.) and we don't particularly
need high end scalability features either for development.

Is there a difference in what channels and packages you can download
from Red Hat Network depending on whether you have the "Server" or the
"Desktop" subscription?  What other differences are there between these
two kinds of subscriptions?

TIA.